Wednesday 22 March 2006

AP Puts 'Lesbianism' and the 'Homosexual Lifestyle' To Bed

All "admitted homosexuals" like myself will be glad to know that AP, the Associated Press, has updated its venerable style guidelines to be more in line with acceptable, modern-day words and phrases to use when referring to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Frankly, it's a relief that I no longer have to admit to being a homosexual; now I can just be one.



Seriously though, AP's update to its stylebook, aka the "journalist's bible", is significant. How we as gay, lesbian, bi and trans people are referred to in the press carries quite a lot of meaning, and this change reflects progress. It seems a bit (read: a lot) overdue, but I'll take progress when I can get it.

I don't know about you, but hearing or reading the word "homosexual" when referring to gay people sounds so wrong to my ears. I hate it, and I'm amazed at how often people still use it, including people I really like. I call myself a "professional homosexual" because it has a ridiculous and funny ring to it -- to me, anyway, and I have managed to basically get paid for being gay for almost 15 years -- but, don't you call me one.

GLAAD released a press statement hailing AP for its update. Check it out, and see a cool history of gay-related AP Stylebook updates since 1977.

"Given the fundamental inaccuracy of terms like 'sexual preference' and the pejorative connotations of words like 'homosexual,' the AP's style guidelines have been updated to reflect contemporary usage that's more fair, more accurate and more inclusive." -- Neil Giuliano, GLAAD

· GLAAD Applauds Updated Associated Press Stylebook Entries
· History of LGBT-Related AP Stylebook Updates

No comments: