Tuesday 28 March 2006

Pimp Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Brokeback' Ride

The 1950 GMC truck driven by Jack Twist is for sale on eBay. When last I checked, there were 10 bids, with the top being $15,500. Bidding ends March 30.



A high school student in Canada had the foresight to buy the truck at auction and is now selling it to finance his college education. Smart kid, and I like what he's doing with the money, but I can't help wishing that artifacts from 'Brokeback Mountain' were being given to, or purchased by, the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.

The pop culture collection at the museum includes Jerry Seinfeld's puffy shirt, Archie Bunker's chair, and Lance Armstrong's bike. Perhaps most famously, it houses Dorothy's ruby slippers. To my mind, props from 'Brokeback Mountain' are in the same cultural league as those things. I see people lining up to view a collection that includes Jack and Ennis' double-hung shirts, Jack's beat up pick up and the postcards they exchanged.

Do you agree? Will the phenomenon of this gay cowboy movie -- which seems so huge right now -- have staying power 25 or 50 or 100 years from now?

Talk to me.

· Student Loads College Hopes on 'Brokeback' Truck (AOL News)
· eBay: 1950 GMC Half-Ton (Editor's Note: I feel so butch typing that.)

 

No comments: