Thursday 20 July 2006

'Project Runway' Cut the Wrong String

As Malan was getting his booty booted off 'Project Runway,' I regretted calling him creepy last week. Although he seems like a pretty unusual fella, I decided I kind of liked him. Yeah, the plucked eyebrows, mysterious (some say fake-sounding) accent, and air of superiority could be a bit off-putting, but he did three things that made him a much more sympathetic contestant:

1) He revealed vulnerability, including talking about his mother trashing his fashion drawings when he was a kid and telling him he'd never amount to ANYTHING (my heart did go out to that young little gay boy!);

2) He's got guts and took full credit/blame for his inappropriate (but still lovely) design, telling the judges that if it came down to kicking off him or his project partner, that he should be the one to go; and

3) He said he liked his fellow contestants and admitted that he has a hard time making friends.

He exhibited some admirable and honest qualities that made me think: I could have coffee with this guy.

When Heidi announced Malan as this week's loser, I accidentally screamed. I could not believe he got booted -- and that the train wreck that is Vincent and Angela were kept on. Were there ever two people who deserved each other more? I was sure one or both of them would be off.

  

Angela was shown to be a whining, talentless leech who can't design her way out of a paper bag ("I don't draw"), and Vincent is in serious need of psychotherapy. What were the judges thinking?

Please, Nina Garcia: Cast your evil-as-Elle eye on one or both of these two. They must go!

'Project Runway': Official Site (Bravo)

Comments | Worth Repeating: Home | Gay Galleries, Video, Pen Pals, More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree. i first thought Malan was a little creepy. But last night I changed my mind.. He said he liked the other designers, that his mother belittled him. He was gracious and showed  a fragile" human side. The wrong person was booted..

Anonymous said...

I agree, I thought he was completely fake but the other night I found myself liking him. Should have kicked the Bitch Andrea OFFFFFF!

Anonymous said...

His dress looked like a gigantic turd. There was nothing concrete to judge Angela with. Her team's dress was gorgeous. Can't cut her just because she has a shitty personality.

Anonymous said...

I love girls and im looking for a girl of my dreams one that is and out going person and everything . like to have fun  and as a great sense a humor and like to have fun .

Anonymous said...

I totally agree but I liked Malan from the start.... He was just plain fun to watch .... He was like Mike Meyers playing Mr. Bean or visa versa...
And I regret that he won't be on any more....
PLUS.. I think he had a lot of classy talent..
Angela should have been ousted because she didn't do anything (period)
for the project.. at least Malan attempted the assignment..... Angela was too busy seeing whose talent she could ride on.... She should be tossed off for showing her lack of taste by wearing those poofy short skirts..... Does she see herself as a budding teen ager or a Madonna wanabe? That is another show...

Anonymous said...

I totally agree.... altho I thought Malan's dress was fairly awful, it did have detail unlike that horrible thing Vincent came up with.  It was also painful to watch Angela and Vincent together, because neither was sympathetic at all.  I wanted to smack them both!   I predict the two will be the voted off in the next three shows.  

Anonymous said...

malan looks like he has had either too much plastic surgery on his face (or did his own project runway on his face

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you.   My heart went out to him when he said he doesn't have many friends.  I like him and hope he does well.

Anonymous said...

Angela can't sew, can't draw, is a manipulator, complains and whines.  At least Vincent has a vision and can execute it.  I kinda enjoy his creative process.
Yes, Malan is sorta cringe-worthy, but again, he has a vision and talent.  All Angela has is a self-proclaimed "passion for fashion".  I have yet to see it either in the way she dresses (what is with that red skirt?) or in her "designs".  Can't wait for tonight!

Anonymous said...

i can't believe he got kicked off ....the other two i'm sure are kept on for Drama reasons only...I wish Malan the best of luck