Monday 12 February 2007

Grammys Better than Ever



I wasn't planning to watch the Grammy Awards. The past few years I found them dull, and worse, they made me feel completely out of touch with "today" because so many of the nominees and the featured performances meant nothing to me (read: I had no idea who they were).

Last night was a different experience. I caught the beginning of the show unintentionally   and spent the next three hours glued to my set. The production was hot. There were some kickass performances. Strangely, I actually knew most of the performers and the nominees for the awards that were given out live.

I wonder: Have I become cooler and more hip to the newest music, or did the Grammy's come down to my level?

What did you think of the show?

Random Observations:
Corinne Bailey Rae owns any moment in which she appears on stage. I could watch her all night.
Mary J. Blige, Christina Aguilera, Shakira: Awesome.
Sting: The 56-year-old rocker looks as hot as ever. Oh, and Police reunion=cool.
Justin Timberlake has, in fact, grown into himself. He gets kudos.
It was nice how the show inserted older artists into the context of today's new music.
Joan Baez stole Dorian Gray's portrait and it's in her closet right now.

Some Lesser Known Grammy Awards that Caught My Eye:
Best Jazz Vocal Album: Nancy Wilson. Love her!
Best Musical Show Album: 'Jersey Boys'
Best Electronic/Dance Album: 'Confessions on a Dance Floor,' Madonna
Best Polka Album: 'Polka in Paradise,' Jimmy Sturr And His Orchestra. Yes, there really is a category for Best Polka Album.

Finally, I was thrilled that the Dixie Chicks did so well. Love them, love the album, love the song. I was disappointed that the gals were so cocky and I-told-you-so (using grade-school rhetoric) in their acceptance speeches. The power of their experience and the message of the song are above that.

Links:
Everything Grammys on AOL
Full List of Nominees/Winners
Watch MusicVideos of the Nominated Songs
Photo Galleries


Tags: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


TOTALLY agreed about the Dixie Chicks. Love them, the album, the song..everything. I didn't see the speech, so I'll pretend it wasn't cocky..lol!

Glad to see them accepted again!

Great entry as usual,

Ste

Anonymous said...

I was forced to watch the entire Grammys (payback by my girlfriend for allowing me to watch all of the Maryland-Duke game Sunday), and I was bored to tears.  Hearing how hot JT is over and over didn't help me enjoy the awards either.  
~ Chris, www.savedbytheblog.com