Wednesday 14 February 2007

Why 'X' Means 'Kiss'

Due to icy roads caused by last night's storm in Washington, I'm working from home today. You know what that means, right? Right! 'The View,' 'Ellen' and 'Martha' on in the background. Yay!

So Martha Stewart, goddess, taught me something interesting today which I never knew, and possibly you didn't know either:
"In Medieval times, people who couldn't write their names signed with a 'X' which they kissed to show their sincerity. This is how the 'X' symbol became synonymous with a kiss."

Cool, eh?

In honor of Xs, Valentine's Day and all things kissy, here's an A-D-O-R-A-B-L-Y sweet series of clips from four separate film projects showing lots and lots of kisses. 

XXX Kenneth

'Gay People Kissing'



Source: RGaston39 at YouTube

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is an awesome clip. I believe there should always be lots of gay/queer people kissing. Which four films are depicted here?

Anonymous said...

Ugly Stuff, does that turn you on?

Get a Life people . That;'s there own private thing .. I don't want it push down my throat.

Is that ok with you or have i lost my rights and will soon i go to jail because i don't agree and embrace something i think weird, It's this America anymore.

Do we have to force our 7 and 8 year old that this is want they should be , how insane at 7 i didn't know what was proper , let's give our kids a break and let them grow up withuot the pressure that sex brings to our lives. wake America don't be railroaded in to anal sex and oral serx telling them it's not sex. what a evil intent we have brainwashed ourselfs to thinking it's a "norm"
Does anybody really see anything wrong with our system which is stacking the cards to the rest of the world or is that what we really want now. a dumb ,sex crazed,useless society.
Sad but true , where have all the hero's gone, have we dimished them to sneaker promoters, to advertising puppets and women to sex objects in beer commericials.
"That's something to think about" from Hal's Radio World

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much.  That was awesome!  Both my sister and I are gay and my mom and dad love us unconditionally.  Kissing is the ultimate form of intimate expression.  Homophobes, like the entry below me need to be exposed to this so that they understand that we love just like heteros do.  Probably better because our love is hard won.  Yes!  Wake up, America and realize that we have always been part of human existance and we always will.  The sooner you get used to it, the better off you'll be hpwww.

Anonymous said...

I loved that - it was awesome! And I have been telling everyone about how X became synonymous w/ a kiss!

Anonymous said...

English is fine too, hpwww.