Thursday 18 May 2006

'Will & Grace' Finale, Finally



Tonight's the night. 'Will & Grace' will quip their last quip. Jack will fling his last flaming one-liner. Karen will sling her last vodka stinger.

Seasoned columnist Gail Shister at the Philadelphia Inquirer has good roundup today of various opinions about the show. I'm not just saying that because I'm quoted in her article (though it was cool to be included). She interviewed a lot of people and incisively encapsulates the impact and significance of 'Will & Grace.'  It's good to be reminded of what there was to love about this show since, for me, I will miss what it was, but not what it became.

Shister writes that the show "proved that a broad audience would embrace a show with a controversial theme -- as long as it was well written, well acted, and knocked our socks off." She then adds, "'Will & Grace' knocked our sex off, too."

See what Gail Shister and a few others have to say about the end of the first really, really gay show on primetime, then tell me what you think.

·
'Will & Grace' Bids Goodbye But Leaves a Big Mark, Gail Shister, Philadelphia Inquirer
· 'Will & Grace' and Gays: The Thrill Has Been Long Gone, Hank Stuever, Washington Post (Free Registration Required)
· 'Will & Grace' Leaves TV Comedy Out of the Closet, Steve Gorman, Reuters/AOL News
· Biddinga Gay Adieu to TV's 'Will & Grace' -- With Mixed Feelings, Gena Hymowech, AfterElton.com
· We Had a Gay, Old Time, Mekeisha Madden Toby, Detroit News

PS: I do love that Wilton Manors, Florida, is proving itself to be one of the gayest places in America by hosting a 'Will & Grace' finale viewing party tonight on a big outdoor screen. "Bring a blanket or a beanbag. The city will provide popcorn and soda."  Gotta love Fort Lauderdale.
Story, Details

Comments | Worth Repeating: Home | Gay Galleries, Video, Pen Pals, More

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

will and grace has a special place in my heart and probably everyone's. even if it became trite, it was our triteness. that sounds idiotic but you know what i mean.

Anonymous said...

In spite of it all, it is only a television show!  Just like Donald Duck and Days of  Our Lives. Get over it folks, the real Will and Grace are among us every day.  That is what we are going to enjoy living with, forever!  Now curl up and read a good book to find the real gay lives with which to deal and look very closely in own back yards for an opportunity to revel in the truth.  If Will and Grace opened that door, which in my mind it did, then the path is clear to all to follow, or discover or relate.  Anything less is full of fear and frightful!  Enjoy the quest!!

Anonymous said...

I love W&G but the finale was a horrible ending.  It was a sitcom yet it didnt end funny.  I think it ended saddly.  I'm very disappointed.....

Anonymous said...

I Loved the show, I love the friendships they all had. It WILL BE MISSED, they will be missed. It really made me laugh.
Good-bye my friends I will miss you stopping by on Thursday night.

Anonymous said...

I have to say this show was the most disappointing series finale fiasco ever. I looked forward to the same wit and humor the show normally demonstrates. But this episode was ridiculous. First W&G don't see each other for 2 years becuase Grace wants to reunite with her husband? Then they don't see each other again for 16 years becuase they can't coordinate their schedules? I guess all the years of true love and friendship went out the window. This made these beloved characters look shallow and selfish. It seemed like they through everything they could into this episode and it just didn't work. It was disjointed and flat. I didn't know whether they were in dream sequences the whole time or moving the story forward. And what was with Jack and Karen at the piano? I think they need to shoot a new ending, apologize for this one and try again.

Anonymous said...

I will you all you made my life funny after work  you all will be well miss.  Karen I'll miss you the most.  I love you all hope to see you in other shows just as funny xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxxooo

Anonymous said...

The last episode may have been sad, but then agian, that is the key to a series finale: to end on a note of rembrence. To end the show were the show began, is something I will foundly remeber. Good bye to a show that brought laughter into my home, for eight years.

Anonymous said...

Will and Grace's finale show signals the end of an important historical imprint; in the last years of watching the show, I couldn't believe how the show made one feel as though Will and Jack (and the gay-themed show in general) were not gay, or different at all, but "HUMAN" dealing with all aspects associated with the "human condition."  That' s the show's amazing and wonderful effect and gift to the world and it will be warmly remembered by the characters we came to recognize as people, not "stereotypes."

- Frank Albrizio, Jr.
 Worcester, Massachusetts
 Age 40

Anonymous said...

When Will & Grace premiered, I repeated asked a female friend who didn't watch TV to PLEASE watch this show, saying, "This is US!" Finally, I gave her a tape of the now famous "water bra" episode. A few weeks later, I got a phone call. When I answered, all I heard was convulsive laughter because she had finally watched the tape. After that, for several years she introduced me to people as "my Will." But the main point for me was that, as far as television of any sort goes, Will & Grace reflected to some degree my real life and made it much more comfortable to be a gay man.