Tuesday 26 December 2006

The Best Present Ever

On Boxing Day today, I'm thinking about how Christmas has become simpler at my house. My husband and I don't do it up like we used to. Christmases past had us surrounded by an 11-foot tree that took days to decorate, a stack of presents under the tree that was anything but restrained, and an extravagant Christmas dinner we hosted at our house for our friends and loved ones.

That version of Christmas changed three years ago when we started to flee the cold of the Northeast for sunny weather in Florida over Christmas break, stopped doing a tree and scaled way back on the gifts. I think this is called middle age.

We're actually reconsidering this practice. We kind of miss getting out our 18 years worth of ornaments and having our family of choice at the house on Christmas day, which always included an after-dinner talent show. Those memories are rich ones, and I think we need to continue making them -- and then fly off to Florida the day after Christmas.

Another part of growing older is getting cozy with nostalgia and reflection, which this season has led me to think about gifts from years past and what gift brought me the most joy, meant the most.

I loved the big gift moments from my youth, my first trike (yes, that adorable kid in in the photo above is me), my first banana-seat bike, my first stereo which could hold six stacked LPs. And I loved the more lavish gifts in later years, the little blue box from Tiffany, the cashmere this, the latest electronic that. But my favorite gift of all time was the one that cost nothing.

One year, my husband and I were strapped for cash, and the only way we were going to have the customary pile of presents under the tree was by racking up lots of credit card bills. Not that we hadn't used plastic at Christmas before, but for a variety of different reasons, we decided to do something completely the opposite: We made a pact that we would forgo all store-bought gifts and give each other something that cost nothing.

We toyed with a few options, and landed on the idea that we would each give the other 10 words -- words whose meaning we wished for the other. We left it open how that would be physically implemented, only agreeing that whatever format we chose, each word would be wrapped up in a gift boxso we'd have presents to open.

Both Scott and I approached our word-giving gift idea in much the same manner, which was to embellish each "word gift" in a rather rustic arts-and-crafts assembly of sorts that included some sort of artwork representation and a quotation that related to the word itself. Interestingly, neither one of us duplicated any of the other's words.

When Christmas morning came, it was sort of like Seuss' Who-ville. We both knew there was nothing of any monetary value under the tree, but the spirit of Christmas was there anyway. In other words, "Christmas came just the same."  As we opened our 10 gifts, taking turns, taking time to let the meaning of each word sink in, the whole scene got downright emotional. There may even have been some tears shed, as I recall, and if that soundtrack in my head that is the score to the movie of my life had been audible, you would have heard Judy Garland singing 'I Can't Give You Anything But Love.'

Later that afternoon, we made a little scrapbook of our 20 words and the artwork we'd built for them. That book of sentiment and love, brought about by a down-and-out Christmas with no money, ended up being my A-#1 favorite gift of all time.

Here are a couple of pages from it.

One of Scott's gifts to me: Fun



One of my gifts to Scott: Serenity




Bonus Video
At the risk of anyone thinking I don't ever want extravagant gifts, um, wrong. Take it away Eartha Kitt (1953):

 



Tags: ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the photo of you as a tike on a trike to the obvious love you and [your husband] have for one another, this post made me smile. Have a wonderful time down in Florida!

Anonymous said...

A bike with a banana seat?!  I remember getting one of those as a child.  The present that had the most impact on me growing up was a Bible that was illustrated with the works of Michelangelo.  I found that mythical personages and invisible beings were almost irresistibly compelling when they weren't wearing any clothes.  This year my favorite present was a batch of brownies that my brother made from scratch with Splenda because I can't eat sugar. *HE* never wanted an EZ Bake Oven when we were little, but last week he clearly slaved over a hot, inscrutable stove as a labor of love to provide me with a special holiday treat.

Anonymous said...

So glad to know that you and Scott have shared so many Christmas' with love, fun and being each other's best playmates.  I hope you know how much we miss you and wish for you many more "Best Presents Ever."  The love between you shall always be your gift to each other.  I am thankful to know of your love for one another.  (And your cute little boy pics have been fun to see).  Have a happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

How thoughtful and sweet!

If only my partner and I had adopted that idea - our credit cards would be thankful. Perhaps next year...

Anonymous said...

You misspelled Emily Dickinson's name.

Anonymous said...

to Arrow107: I know I misspelled Dickinson's name. I was going to point it out in advance, but I knew someone would catch it. Apologies to Ms. Dickinson.

Anonymous said...

Who is Eartha Kitt? is she/he Drag?