Tuesday 10 October 2006

Betty DeGeneres 'Talks About It'



Betty DeGeneres was the first straight ally to serve as a spokesperson for HRC's Coming Out Project -- a role she embraced after her daughter Ellen came out on national TV and in the press in 1997. Betty now uses her visibility to help moms and dads and families talk to their gay, lesbian, bi and trans kids.

I chatted with Betty this week about coming out and her work as an advocate for GLBT civil rights. Here's a traanscript of what she had to say, or you can listen to the audio recording (15 minutes.)



Kenneth Hill: Everybody knows you as Ellen's mom, but not everybody knows just how active you've been as an advocate for gay and lesbian civil rights. You've written two books, 'Love Ellen' and 'Just a Mom,' and you're active in PFLAG and HRC. Why do you do this work?

Betty DeGeneres: Oh, I have to, because -- it's so simple. I mean, we're talking about unconditional love for our children. There are parents that I've heard of who will practically disown children if they change religions, or don't marry a doctor or don't become a doctor or, you know, you name the condition, and that's not what love is.  It's unconditional love, and we don't all come out of the same cookie cutter. It's just very, very simple.

KH: Can you tell me the story of when Ellen came out to you? How did she do it, and how did you react?

BD: Well, it was after she finished high school in the little town in east Texas where we were living, and she went right back to New Orleans, which is our home, after that. I think if I had been in daily touch with her, I would have had some clues, but I didn't. 

So when I was down on a visit -- in fact we were on the beach in Pass Christian, Mississippi, which now it's so totally devastated (a whole different story), but we were at my sister's house, and Ellen and I walked on the beach and she told me she was gay.

She started crying when she told me that, so I hugged her, and you know, just totally stunned and thinking a hundred different things, like all of a sudden my daughter's going to be an object of bigotry and discrimination, and she was always this girl-next-door type, and all of these thoughts.

I was really ignorant about what homosexuality is -- as most people are who don't have anyone that they love who is gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgender. And so I had to learn about it. Our relationship -- there was never a question that that would be affected. So we just went from there, and obviously I learned gradually, and then gradually the family knew and friends knew, and so it was a non-issue.

KH: And why was it a non-issue, do you think? Did you have friends or family who were gay, or was this something that was brand new to you?

BD: No, I think it was a non-issue because, first of all, Ellen and I always had a close, close relationship. And so for starters, we had that. Now some parents may not have that with their sons or daughters, and then that brings up a problem if they weren't close in the first place. But we were. She supported me through things, and I supported her, and so there was just not a question. So that's all I can say.

KH: So, she was in high school at the time, you said.

BD: No, she had just finished. In fact she was 20; she had gone back to New Orleans right after she had finished high school.

KH: Fast-forward then a few years to 1997, when she came out publicly, and that sort of launched a new life for you. You really kind of jumped into the spotlight, and have been quite an outspoken advocate since then.  What have you seen in the last 10 years in terms of how coming out has changed?

BD: I think they say statistically that young men and women, boys and girls, are coming out at an earlier age. Which is a good thing, if they're very, very sure. Some people, they struggle alone for years and years and then finally get the courage to tell their parents, and the parents say, "Oh, we knew that." And that's so unfair. You know, the person goes through years of almost trauma, and they knew that, but nobody would bring it up.

So I think coming out earlier is a good thing. And talking about it. It helps educate people, anyway. The fact that now there is so much emphasis on same-sex marriage is certainly a good thing. It's a legal, civil right. Never mind a religious ceremony -- churches don't have to marry a same-sex couple if they don't want to -- but it's a legal right that all of our taxpaying citizens who happen to be gay should have that right -- protection, all the benefits and all the protections that go with it, and that's a good thing.

And same-sex couples having children is a wonderful thing, because there's so much thought that goes into this process, whether it's adoption or surrogate parents or having the baby. You know, it's not just an oops; 's not a mistake. It's lots and lots of planning. Then adoption by the [partner].

Those things, those subjects, are always important. And company benefits, that's more and more becoming the norm. In fact, gay and lesbian people, their buying power is huge, just tremendous. A lot of gay adults are in professions and earning lots and lots of money, and they should make their voices heard more and more.

KH: I want to go back to something you said a minute ago about people being younger and younger who are coming out. It's certainly gotten easier for people to come out at a younger age, and the visibility of the GLBT community has made it more welcoming for people to come out. Is it easier today for parents to come out, do you think, as parents of gay and lesbian kids?

BD: Oh, I certainly hope so. I mean, PFLAG, goodness sake, they have so many members worldwide really. I know when I was living in L.A., I was active in PFLAG,and at almost every meeting there would be parents who had just learned that their son or daughter was gay, and came to the meetings, and some of them were rather upset and devastated. But by the time they talked to parents who were active in PFLAG and accepting and loving and working hard for equal rights for our gay family members, the transformation and the acceptance has been wonderful. And that's happening all over the place.

And just by everybody speaking out who CAN speak out -- you know, don't keep it a secret. Talk about it,because a lot of people think they don't know anyone who's gay, or don't know anyone who has gay family members or gay people that they love. The more that we just talk about it openly -- it's not a deep, dark secret.

KH: Those three words "talk about it" are a good segue to this year's National Coming Out Day theme, which is "talk about it." 

BD: I love it.

KH: I like it too because, as you know, coming out is not a onetime event, it's a process, and it's an ongoing dialogue. I think that oftentimes people don't really talk about it after they've come out because they think they're done, or I think a lot of gay and lesbian people are afraid to sound preachy, to talk about their lives.

BD: I know a friend, she used to be with HRC, and she told me she was in a checkout line and the cashier and somebody else made some really inappropriate jokes, and she spoke up. She said, "I'm sorry, but I'm gay and I don't appreciate that. That isn't funny."  And that's what it takes. It takes a little bit of bravery, but that's what it takes until everybody can accept it and calm down.

KH: It seems like for a lot of straight people, they can be afraid to "talk about it" because they don't want to say the wrong thing, or they're a little bit embarrassed or they don't want to embarrass the person they're friends with or who they're related to. How should straight people not be afraid to talk about it?

BD: Well, that's a good segue, because now HRC has come out with a straight guide to GLBT people. Oh, it's brilliant.  I just was so impressed. They thought of every eventuality that might come up, a question that straight people may have or may be asked. I just urge everyone to see it or get it. If it comes up, hand it to somebody, and there it is.

KH: I have had a chance to look at it, and it does guide you through the different steps, different feelings that people can have when someone comes out to them. I think it is a useful document.

BD: I think it's a brilliant idea. There was always the resource guide to coming out for gay people that gave them suggestions, and it still does, for how to talk to their parents, how to talk to friends, how to bring it up. So that's there, but then there wasn't one from this standpoint.

KH: You've talked to hundreds of parents during the course of your activism over the last 10 years. What are the most common questions you get from parents?

BD: I don't know, I have heard from a lot of parents and it's so hard to pin down specific questions, but I get comments from parents and from the sons and daughters that my being out helped theparents. And my book helped the parents. Because I'm so out there and accepting, and obviously I love my daughter -- how could I not? -- and it just sort of makes it easier for them. So we need to be out there, lots of us.

In my case, I don't even have to say anything, because Ellen is such a public figure, but the fact that I'm there so much and every now and then I pop up on the show, and obviously we have a great relationship that I treasure. So, it's just a good thing.

KH: She's lucky to have you. Do you two talk about GLBT issues?

BD: Not too much. In a way we do, but it's just such a fact of life. And we don't have a great deal of time to talk anyway -- with her schedule she's so busy -- but we do somewhat.

KH:  In every gay pride parade I've ever been to, the moms and dads and families [who] march in the PFLAG contingent always get the hugest response from the crowd. It's almost an emotional thing that happens. I'm curious to know, what does that feel like as a parent who's marching, when you get that sort of response from people?

BD: That's really great. I've been [in] a number of PFLAG parades. I think I marched in one with the PFLAGers in L.A.  But then in another one I was going to, I was on my way, and I had on my PFLAG T-shirt. I was on my way to where they were lined up, and all the Dykes on Bikes were lined up on their motorcycles, and a girl invited me to ride on the back of her motorcycle, so I did. It was great, it was just great. So that was a lot of fun. Especially when people realized it was me.

KH:  That must have been quite an experience for you.

BD: It was, it was really good.

KH: Well, Betty, I really appreciate you talking to us today. I think your message is an important one for people to hear, especially moms and dads and straight folks who have a gay or lesbian relative. I think your voice really helps a lot of people come to a realization that it's just part of life now.

BD: People just have to think for themselves. Not be brainwashed, not pay attention to people who are bigoted and discriminate. It'sjust not right. They need to think it out for themselves, and accept, and live and let live.

 

Comments | Worth Repeating: Home | Gay Galleries, Video, Pen Pals, More

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a dear, sweet, loving lady.  The world would be such a better place if everyone felt this way about every group that has experienced hate, predjudice, misunderstanding, fear or even apathy.  Keep spreading the love, Betty.  It could be contagious!  - Elaine M. Boucher, Northwood, NH

Anonymous said...

I THINK IT'S WONDERFUL HOW YOU SUPORT YOUR DAUGHTER AND ALL OTHER FOLKS. I CAME OUT TO MY FAMILY FIVE YEARS AGO. YES THEY DISOWNED ME. AFTER A WHILE THEY SAW THAT I'M STILL THE SAME PERSON I WAS TEN  YEARS AGO. I AM STILL ME. I HAVE TWO BOYS, 12 AND 13, AND THEY LOVE THE IDEA OF HAVING TWO MOTHERS. GOD BLESS YOU BETTY AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Anonymous said...

I think it is grand to support your child. How ever I don't cae how or with whom people have sex with. Having said this, I believe that sex among the same sex is morally dishonest and wrong. I say keep it to yourself. It is your right have sex with who ever. I just don't want to hear about it. These folks don't have courage.

                         LKB

Anonymous said...

lilybarry5, your comments floor me.  You don't want to hear about it?  Then why are you reading this?  It was your choice to hear about it in this instance, you actually had to seek out this article.  I am not gay, but believe in G&L rights, HUMAN RIGHTS!  I come here to be educated and understand what my G&L friends are going through.  That is why YOU should be here; to educate yourself on Human Rights.  It took more time for you to post your negative thoughts than it would have been if you just read the Straight Guide to GLBT Americans.

The thing is, I accept you for being a hater, why can't you accept my friends for sharing their love?  Being gay is not just about sex, please know that.  I am just asking you to educate yourself before posting in a G&L area.  

No courage?  Are you serious? For someone to come out and know that they are going to, as Ms. Betty said, be a target of bigotry and discrimination takes more courage than you or I will ever have.

Anonymous said...

This is not what our God intended it to be...He said man/woman.  just like  Adam/Eve..This is an abomination to his holy name!!! It's down right sin and there is nothing moral about it!!!

Anonymous said...

I applaud you for being the type of parent you are. I have a son who is gay and has a partner. They went to Canada and were married as our government does not accept it here. My husband and I as well as the rest of our family are very supportive of them both. We are very proud and love our son-in-law just as we love our other children.
It takes so much courage to comeout. Had we have known sooner maybe our son would not have endurred the pain and turmoil he went through. or maybe it would have been a little easier for him.
As to the Christian view well God made them just as he made the rest of us. Who are we to judge? Look to their hearts and see what type of person they are

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of Betty and Ellen.  If more people were like them the voices of people like Wiggs would be drowned out and no longer heard.  I never dreamed the day would come when people would use the bible to excuse being evil souls. Betty's message is of unconditonal love.  Her actions are one of support for her child.  I respect and admire her as a human being and thank God that we have people like her.  I have four children that understand unconditonal love.  One gave his life for the freedom of our country, so that American people can live free.  Free to be themselves without fear of who they are. When you disrespect gay people you are also disrespecting what our country stands for. You are saying my son died in vain.  

Anonymous said...

i would appreicate it if the queers all just left dont get me wrong thogh i love me a good looking lesbian not the ugly dykes they can leave too

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mrs. D and Ellen for the positive images you create, simply by just
being your loving selves. The majority of gay people are good folks, just trying to
live their lives alongside with everyone else. I have always felt that I was born this way, not forced into it, or a victim of my surroundings. My parents took awhile to
understand the situation, but the love that we shared allowed them to look beyond the stigma and see I was still a good and loving person. I do believe in God, and
also believe that He created all of us. We are in all walks of life, worldwide, and come in all shapes,sizes,and colors. We are male and female, and often work in many jobs that benefit others in this world. We care for the sick in hospitals, we entertain, we educate, we are in the military, the list is endless. We are mothers,
fathers, sisters,brothers,daughters and sons, aunts and uncles. We want many of the very same things in life that everyone else does. We want to be treated with the same respect that any other decent people would like to be treated. Just like any other group of people, there are always a few bad apples in the bunch, but that doesn't mean we all are bad. I have spent the majority of my life trying to be kind to others, and help those in need. I am a Lesbian mother and grandmother.
I have been with my partner for 14 years now, and legally married in Massachusetts for 2 1/2 years. We vote, we pay taxes and hope for a day  that
there will be more acceptance in the world so that others will be able to share their
love and lives together. My daughter has been raised, as she is raising her own
to be a loving, caring, tolerent person, and yes, she is completely hetrosexual.
I do not care what goes on in other peoples bedrooms, providing it is consensual
and occurring between two adults. I love seeing young, and older couples walking
hand in hand. Love and life should be beautiful for everyone!

Anonymous said...

Ms. Betty DeGeneres:
You are a real inspiration to all gays and lesbians who have a chance to meet, see, read, or talk to you. You are also a model to all parents, family members, and to peple who make up our society.  I hope Ellen really appreciate how a very special mother she has for all that you have given her.  The key word you said that I wish you would help me write a book for parents of gays and lesbians family who are not Americans and /or also affiliate with other cultures, custom, and live by other set of rules and approach.  I am the poster child of what I am talking about.  I love my mother more than I can tell you, and I would give my life up for her without any question.  I used to be her everything and we had such a relationship where we almost were one and I felt all her emotions and knew as long as I had her, there is nothing in life I can not do.  I used to pray to god, when the time comes, take me first before her use to be my prayer.  Now, after she found out I am gay, I lost it all in one flash.  I know she loves me, yet our culture, custom... I LOST THE SALT OF MY LIFE, MY FOUNDATION who is my mom.
I feel uncondition love, understanding, tolerance, forgivness, reaching out to others building Axis of love instead of evil is needed.  You message I feel is beyond the issue of gay or lesbian, but of living  and giving uncondition love and understanding to all.The children of today are the leaders of tommorrow and that terrifies me to think who, what....impacts them to be the individuals of tommorrow.   I just want to say I admire you and you are a great gift to the world.  Would you be interested in writing your advice to families of gays and lesbian of other cultures, please?  If interested let me know at ISelassie@aol.com.   Thank you.

Anonymous said...

  One learns that showing acceptance of others is not only what we are admonished to do as Christians, but showing love, appreciation and praise of others is also a marvelous way of lifting our own spirits.
  I admire you as the mother of a precious lady who has been given a special talent making other people happy with her uncanny sense of humor.  Obviously, she continues to be successful using this talent entertaining others despite the fact that many people reject those who accept a different lifestyle from their own.
  Betty, I do not accept the lifestyle that your daughter has chosen as one that God chooses for us, but I do not condemn your daughter.  I pray that God will intervene in her life and show her how to be obedient to His plan for her.  This is what I would do if one of my daughters should make this preference.
  May God continue to bless you and your family.  
                                                                        Marjorie A. Chambers

Anonymous said...

Betty, I want to thank you from all the parents of Gay children.  For what you have done to help make our children been seen for who they are not what they are.  They are loving, caring people and their sexual orientation is not a question.  I don't introduce my other children as "This is my Heterosexual son" so why should I introduce my daughter as My Lesbian daughter.  It is unmaterial to me.  If it comes up I say yes, she is gay but who cares. Certainly her father and I don't our family doesn't and my friends don't.  If they did, they are not my friends.  What her father and I care about is whether or not she is a loving, caring law abiding person who would never hurt another human being.  She also loves God and is a good Christian.  Not a "Sunday" Christian but an all week Christian.  You know the type, Sunday everyone is loved but on Monday they hate other religions, races, and "those kind" of people.  For this I give thanks.  Again, God Bless and Thank you,  Emily Gough

Anonymous said...

damn queers get offline please this is a place for white god loving human beings...not queer analmals you guys are the reason for HIV, AIDS, ABORTION ,DRUG USE, ALCHOLISM, SUICIDE AND ANY OTHER ANTI JESUS ACTIVITY please stop this before yours sins get out out of hand any one who supports these GAY DOGS is supporting these activities AND FOR ALL PEARENTS WITH GAY CHILDREN NEED TO DO WHAT I DID AND SEND THIER DISCUSTING CREATIONS TO GERMANY PLEASE REPENT NOW!!!

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great artical. And for the people who flood this page with terrible things as "Damn queers." And that they are the reason for acholism? Drug abuse? AIDS? Which really is NOT true. If you want to come on to this and yell about things like that, you really should get your facts straight. People can still recive HIV and AIDS from drugs, its not just from gay sex. Besides straight people can still recive it, their just not as directly pron to it as gay couples.
And gay, lesbians, and bi sextuals are not the reason for drugs and acholol. Thats just a stupid and wrong thing to say.

I'm not a any of what I said before, I'm straight. But I do have great friends who are gay, lesbain and bi sextual. And I compeltly support them. They're great people, and have done nothing wrong.

And all of this "Is against god" stuff is completly wrong. God never said it had to of been woman and a man. Never in the bible does he mention this. Also, if you acctually do read the bible you would know that the angels were mad at god for giving us the freedom to choose. To choose to believe in him or not, so believe in whatever we wished, to have freedom to choose who we wanted to be with for the rest of our lives weather they be a man or a woman.

Anonymous said...

[Continuing from the previous comment]

Its like telling different races they can't get married. What a white girl and a black man can't get married? Just because their alittle different? They still love each other the same as a white man and a white woman don't they? Maybe they can't get married in a Catholic church, but thats fine. But it shouldn't be illigal for two people of the same sex to love each other and want to be together for the rest of their lives and show that to the world by saying 'I do.' There is nothing wrong with that.

I hope people can listen to what I said, I know its just my opion, but I thought it should be heard. Please don't let people with insucrities about themselves, take away the freedom of others. My name is Aimee, I'm 14 years old. And I support same sex couples and marrige and their right to have children. If you want to fight with me on this subject email me, or IM me. I will fight for this, cause the way everyones treating it, is terrible.

Anonymous said...

[Continuing from the previous comment]

Besides the population of the planet is growing larger and theres less and less place for people to live because the life span is growing for a normal human being. Gay and lesbain couples might not be able to have children of their own, but they can adopt the ones that mothers have unfortuantly left in orphanges. They can give the children a place to eat, sleep, and clothe them properly.
This nonsense about being against same sex marrige is terrible. People just don't accept it because its different to them. Kids at school get teased and mad fun of. But they shouldn't, its like going and making fun of a fat kid, a skinny girl, a girl thats really tall. They can't help that fact, its just who they are, its how they were made. They can't change if they have feelings for someone of the same sex.

Why should it matter to anyone else anyway? They aren't doing anything wrong. They aren't interfering with your life, so who says the government can come along and tell them, "Oh no you can get married to that man." "Why?" "Well... because. He's a man too."

Anonymous said...

I admire you very much!!  I have known I was gay since my early teens, although never came out to family.  I knew it was going to take a crisis for it to happen.  And it happened.  After a heart attack, I was very ill and went into dementia.  Bake and forth to the hospital a full run of tests were done.  It was then it was found I was HIV positive.  By this time, I have a partner.  Needless to say, he got tested and found negative.  Some advised him to leave me, but he was disgusted and told them that was not what love was all about!!!  Immediately I told my three brothers and my mother.  My mother was shocked, but not surprised.  I have found through this an incredible support system from my family, my partner's family and our more educated friends!!
Keep up the work Betty.  More of us should have mother's like mine and yours!!  There's a place in heaven for both of you.
God bless you and your life's mission

Tony Lobban

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Betty, for your unconditional love.  Would that all parents and people in general have your beautiful heart.  Both you and Ellen have wonderful gifts, and because you are celebrities, many people's lives are touched and inspired by your family each day.  I have known I am lesbian for many years, and I have struggled not only socially but spiritually because I grew up in a Christian home.  Unfortunately, many so-called Christians not only promote intolerance in regards to sexual orientation but religion, politics, race, social class, and more.  My Bible speaks of a Christ who loved everyone and ministered to his people with kindness.
I just read a comment from a young 14-year-old lady who speaks more eloquently than I ever could.  She gives me hope that things will be better for us all as future generations come along.  May God continue to bless your family in wonderful ways.  I am somewhat selfish because I realize if you are blessed, we will all receive blessings in return.  

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the interview with Betty DeGeneres very much. I am still puzzled about why people have to try and define who and why they are. I understand about advocating for civil rights and equal rights, as a black female I am a living testimony of many societal injustices, but trying to fight for rights for a person's free will to choose their life-style and for obtaining acceptance from others is a waste of time. You cannot make anyone accept or like you. The two most important factors in life are, to love God first and foremost, and then to love yourself. People do not have "Human Being Pride Parades" or "Female or Male Pride Parades". Stop letting society label who you are. I am not Lesbian,Gay, nor Bi-sexual. I am a woman who have chosen to love a woman, and I have the free will and right to do this. If you learn to "flow" from within, "STUFF" from the outside does not effect your state of being, and you will become totally free from limitations and boundaries. You have never experienced TRUE HAPPINESS nor the essence of TRUE LOVE until you experience it from the inside out. When you flow from the inside you will find your eternal soul-mate which is an extension of yourself that is conducive to your personal and social well being. When you find the kingdom of God, which is within each and every one of us, you will find yourself. I have been flowing for all my 53 years of life, and I hope that everyone will learn to do the same. Understanding the concept and with a little practice you will began to witness the atmosphere around you changing. This is the only way that there will ever be limitless love and peace in the world, and that is to flow from where God is, and that is from within. I love you all...AlphaFem53