Wednesday 18 October 2006

Gay Admirers and the Straight Guys Who Love Them

I finally found some time to lookup the videos of Weatiez, one of the dudes on YouTube who The Advocate writes about in this week's issue:




The Advocate explores the phenomenon of straight men who love -- or at least don't mind -- attention from the gays:

"For whatever reason, young guys who list themselves as straight have decided to display their chiseled physiques on YouTube. They’re building a very large gay male fan base while creating a new forum for the ever-changing dialogue between gay and straight men.

... The fact that gay men are ogling his hot bod doesn’t concern Weatiez. “Yeah, I’m aware of it, but it does not bother me,” he says via e-mail. “I’m comfortable with that because I know working out will give me a great body, and I know that will get attention, both female and male.”

About being the object of gay men's affection, the article quotes another straight poser who says:
"It doesn’t really matter to me -- I’m actually intrigued that gay guys respond to it," he says. "It’s on my profile that I’m straight, and if guys ask if I would go that way, I just say, ‘No, but thanks for thinking of me.' It’s just about the attention, he explains. "Most of the guys posting aren’t average guys—they’re into their appearance, their clothes, their grooming. They shave; I shave. It’s more a metrosexual thing, and in that way I think we have something in common with gay guys. So when I get attention from them, I like it. It confirms that I’m doing it right."  (Read more: 'Dude Worship on YouTube')

Are we really in a new day -- where straight men are totally cool with and acknowledge that gay men look? And they use YouTube and other video outlets to show off, knowing gay men are some of their biggest fans?

My guess is that we are -- for two reasons. First, the guys posting video are mostly young, and young people these days have grown up knowing more about gay people. No, make that, the KNOW openly gay people. They are friends with gay people. It doesn't matter anymore, or at least it matters much less than it used to.

Second, these young guys have grown up in the age of beefcake being objectified. Male beauty is worshiped in the media, in advertising, in everything, in a way it just never was before Calvin Klein billboards put gorgeous men in bulging undies out in the open for all to see and admire.

Men today are very aware of their appearance, for better or for worse, and now all the World Wide Web is a stage.


PS: Video Resumes
Video is a hot common currency for self-expression. Check out Cosmopolitan meets Man Hunt (no, not *that* Manhunt), Cosmo's contest to find the hottest bachelor in America. The results will be announced on Monday, but you can see each of the men from 50 states right now, including some who use video as part of their online bachelor resume. Virginia's Bobby Boswell posts a funny and clever video sure to entertain his female and male admirers alike.

Click to See Bobby Boswell


Photograph by Drew and Derek Riker, via Cosmopolitan

 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know some guys who love attention from the gays. In particular, a bartender works at both Freddie's and Cobalt (two DC-area gay bars), who happens to be completely straight (and very very pretty). When asked why he works at gay bars then, he is not ashamed to admit that he takes home twice as much money in tips from gay clientelle than when he serves alcohol to the ladies.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I voted for bobby about 300 times back when they were accepting votes.