Wednesday 25 October 2006

High Heel Race: The Running of the Drag Queens


Pictured: Washington's newest sex kitten, Peaches (left), with the statuesque Mariah Scary


They came, they reveled, they raced -- and in heels high enough to make them that much closer to God.

Washington, D.C.'s annual High Heel Race was held last night and I'm calling it the best one in recent memory, without a doubt. The event, which turned 20 years old this year, inspired a good size crowd of fellas who donned their gay apparel and dragged their assets down the street in hopes of winning the trophy with the size 12 pump on top.

Fashion highlights ranged from high drag (read: "You mean you're a MAN? Fabulous!"), to guys who slabbed pancake make up over their facial hair (Wilma!).  A good time was had by all who got to witness revealing ensembles worn by men who didn't bother to tuck (oh my!).

Plenty of local celebs were on hand, including D.C.'s new de facto mayor-elect, Adrian Fenty (pictured, right), city councilwoman Carol Schwartz and several members of the underground and super-press-shy Miss Adams Morgan Pageant.

Hunky cops from the D.C. Police Department's Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit were making the rounds, coffee mugs in hand, including the beloved Brett Parsons.

Did anyone else notice how many hot men were on the street -- I mean, men dressed as men? Yes, a bunch of them were straight since, like all good gay public events, what was once an event for gays, by gays, has drawn more and more straight fans over the years. Funny, too, to see those straight dudes get off on flirting with drag queens like, you know, something might happen.

But there was plenty gay about the men on the street, too, as evidenced by several postings on today's Missed Connections on Craig'sList DC, proving that large drag events truly do make for great husband hunting.  Here are a couple:

You Complimented Me on My Cover Boy Article in Metro Weekly
You mid twenties, 5’11ish with a hat, came up to me and complimented me about being featured as cover boy in Metro Weekly. We were in front ofSubway on 17th street for he high heel races. I wanted to say more than thank you very much but you were in a rush. I think you may have been with two girls, but I’m not sure. Maybe you would like to catch up and have coffee? 

[Editor's Note re: "I think you may have been with two girls, but I’m not sure." 
Honey, none of us were sure. None of us.]

In the Crowd, There Was Kind Anthony
Your name is Anthony, my name is Andrew. You were kind enough to let me lean onto your shoulder to get a better view of the high heel race last night. You drank from my beer and I took some pictures of you. It was so much fun for my first year going and your adorable face made it even nicer. I should have asked when I had the chance, but I didn't want to keep you from the fun when they opened up the streets. Do you like guys? or girls? Either way, if you see this, thank you for being a nice guy last night. Maybe we can hang out for a drink sometime, even if just as friends. I should have taken the offer to get on your shoulders:)

[Editor's Note re: "I should have taken the offer to get on your shoulders."
Watch out, doll. First it's the shoulders, then it's the knees.]


I shot some photos and some video and have compiled this short hybrid slide show/movie. It's a bit rough because I just used my little Canon Powershot SD400, but it was also dark out. Suffice to say, I was extremely thankful for all the glitter flying around in the air since it helped reflect the light.




Kenneth Hill, reporting from the field.

Also Check Out:
Someone With a Better Video Camera than Mine (Washington Post)
The Biggest Hair on the Block (Jimbo.Info via Joe.My.God)
Here, Baby. There, Momma. Everywhere, Daddy, Daddy! (blah, blah, black sheep)
The 20th Annual High Heel Race (Joe Tresh's Washington)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a little hard to say with poor visibility....but I THOUGHT I could see poor, dear Mary Decker lying in the gutter with stiletto-shaped stigmata emblazoned on her feet.....

Anonymous said...

Grelef: Word has it that it *was* Mary. She failed the urine test and some drag queen took great offense to it!  KH

Anonymous said...

I really need to go to this next year. Thanks for covering it, Kenny!