Wednesday 24 January 2007

A Kinder, Gentler 'American Idol' Returns



It seems as if the producers of 'American Idol' took to heart the storm of commentary that has been stirring since last week's shows. You remember the ones -- with Cruella DeVille, Mommie Dearest and Attila the Hun disguised as judges who got their jollies raking contestants over the coals for being fat and ugly?

Although last night's show was still chock full of people who aren't Hollywood-worthy and were told "sorry, no," the judges focused their commentary on singing, presence, and the "people will like you" factor. Simon delivered a few zingers, which were actually funny as opposed to diabolically mean.

It's too early to call contestants out as frontrunners, but I have to say I loved Melinda Doolittle, a soft-spoken, humble back-up singer who has a voice that could take her very far. Awesome.

It was awfully adorable to see Paula Abdul closing up her own blouse as if to send a field of energy to prevent a wardrobe malfunction that was dying to happen during the audition of Janita Burks. Randy and Simon quite enjoyed the fact that Janita chose to augment her version of 'Disco Inferno' by enthusiastically jiggling her boobies which were trying hard to escape their skimpy enclosure.

In short, a good time was had by all now that 'American Idol' is back to being the nicer version of a reality-show train wreck/entertainment extravaganza. Now, the train has the left the station with me on it, there's no turning back.


See:
Everything 'American Idol' on AOL
'Idol' Judges, Producer Deny Show Is Meaner
Bonus Link:  Relive the Gayest Moments of Last Season


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I agree with you that they seemed just a tad bit more humane on American Idol the other night(I saw that episode your referring to), I beg to differ on the "fat and ugly" thing. I myself am built bigger and I'm far from "ugly"...BUT I love these journals. Keep em coming my way please.

Anonymous said...

To christimade6 -- I don't know if I didn't say it correctly or if you didn't read it correctly, but in no way did I mean that fat=ugly! No way, no how. My point was that last week the judges' mean comments were more about people's appearance. They made fun of some people for being ugly, some for being fat, and all manner of other things that had nothing to do with singing ability -- which I thought was totally out of line.

Thanks for reading, and please keep coming back. I'm not the kind of fella who degrades people based on how they look, but I think you already know that. And I certainly don't think fat = ugly. Gimme some credit!

Anonymous said...

Kenny-sweetheart-Thank you. I'm just a bit DOWN tonight. Your a good guy and a great writer. I'll DEFINITELY be back again and again(just to bug you)! LOL!! Thanks for caring, dear!

Anonymous said...

I Thought I would watch the show lasted Night 1-24-07.
And it was going better. Well. Until the The Man at the End.
Came in. The One who was out with the people who were coming in to sing.
Said. He had be drinking the night before. And he would not be in a good mood.
At all. And everyone would have to deal with him. And they did.
The Ones who were sitting up with him. And the ones who were singing.
He was not in a good Mood. And he did not care. If he was or not.
He was acking like. I am here. So let the show go on.
And whatever I said or do. I do not care. Or do I have to care about what you say or do. I am like this. And it is okay...  
I do not watch the show that much. And I do not think you care if who every does.
It is like. We are here. And we are who we are. And We can do what we wish.
You are a lot of Ages watching you. And last Night. Was better bad. To the ones who came before you. And the ones who were watching you. So you were saying to a lot of people. It is okay to drink and acted. Like you wish. It is okay.
I have a good feeling. You will not get this. Or you will not care. If you did.
And that is to bad.
Your Show used to be good. For the whole Family. Plus.

Anonymous said...

They could not have reacted to last week's criticsm...This week's show was taped last summer.Perhaps they edited the nastiness but the judges were not reacting to public.