Friday 26 January 2007

So This Is What All The Fuss Is About: MIKA!



It seems like every gay blogger on the Internet is in love with young singing sensation Mika. I finally got around to watching the video making the rounds so I could see what everyone is talking about and all I can say is, "sign me up."

Mika is a native of Lebanon, living in London. He's 23 and will make you think of Freddy Mercury, though he most certainly has a sound and a free spirit all his own. His Web site, MikaSounds.com, is over the top fun, a veritable pop explosion.

Mika's single just rose to #1 on the U.K. charts, a huge coup since it was entirely driven by downloads (the CD will be released next week). Gnarls Barkely was the first person to claim that honor; Mika is the second.

There's a great deal of speculation about his sexuality, but so far Mika isn't talking. With lyrics like "I try to be like Grace Kelly" (and who of us doesn't?) and song titles like 'Now I Know How Morrissey Felt', it's no wonder that people are wondering. Add in his sensual dance moves and flirty-fabu demeanor and, well, you get the picture. When I shared his song with my colleague Rebecca, the first thing she did was scream, "Rufus Wainwright would so bang him! They're the perfect couple."  And with that, here's Mika:

'Grace Kelly'




If you want to get to know a little something about the man, you can also check out this BBC interview. (9 minutes)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Long-time, UK based reader & first time commenter!

I love that you're on the MIKA bandwagon - I only heard of him a couple of months back, and already in that time he's gone from "Who?" to the name on everyone's lips.

Wonderful, campy, poppy music that samples Grace Kelly, and a wonderful, upbeat, looker of a man behind it - how could we not love him?