Wednesday 24 January 2007

Nancy Pelosi Made Me Cry



I wasn't planning to watch the State of the Union last night. I.Cannot.Stand. to see or hear George Bush, and find I'm less prone to self-flagellation if I can read about what he says after the fact rather than experience it first-hand.

For whatever reason, however, I just let the TV run when the scene in the Capitol building came up on my screen last evening. And then something totally unexpected happened.

When the pre-speech hullabaloo died down and Nancy Pelosi took her place on the dais, pounded the gavel and introduced the president, I started to get a little misty. It started out slow, then it continued to grow.

I certainly wasn't planning on a full-blown emotional explosion as I witnessed history being made, but certain physical signs started to indicate that was where I was headed. I thought of the six critical bills
the new Congress has already passed as Pelosi had pledged to do in the first 100 hours of her new gig, and I struggled further to hold back my emotion with all my might. I saw that my husband, Scott, was going through the same exact thing. The snorting always gives you away.

At the moment when Bush recognized Nancy Pelosi as the first female Speaker of the House, and I fully felt the impact of seeing Congresswoman Pelosi sitting behind Bush, next to Cheney, third in line to the presidency, in the same seat from which Dennis Hastert had meanly stared back at us for so many years prior, I knew I had to give in.

The moment was too huge and I just totally lost it. Scott did too. We grabbed each other by the hand and had a full on crying fit, an emotional release, inspired to see a woman take her long overdue place of power in our government, and overcome with gratitude that change has come to Washington.

Then we turned the TV off.

 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same damned reaction and I'm a  straight MAN.

And I'm fucking PROUD of it.

Pardon me for blogwhoring, but I wrote about it too: http://apenwarmedinhell.blogspot.com/

But nowhere near as elegantly as you, thank you for that.

~nyc

Anonymous said...

Please take the communist Pelosi home with you, so you can cuddle up with her, and spare the rest of us the torture of seeing a communist as House Speaker.

Anonymous said...

It was an amazing day/night for the US and the rest of the world, there is hope for the country. A woman with a clue, and who hopefully can get this countries issues back in the spotlight, and not Iraq 24/7, of which I could care less what happens there. It should be all women on that dais in my book, well as long as none are from the GOP.

Anonymous said...

i dont think just because someone ant sing they should be belittled, most americans work hard for a living and simply trying to be someone in life, too bad no has seen simons children if he does have any.