Monday 20 November 2006

Amy Sedaris: The Hostess With the Neurosis



Funny lady Amy Sedaris has written this season's must-read book about entertaining, 'I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence.'  It's a cookbook, it's a home entertainment manual, and it's a collection of twisted comedic observations that only Amy can cook up.
"A party doesn't necessarily have to be a big to-do. A party can be as simple as a few people getting together for conversation and snacks. As my guests leave even my most simplest parties, I consistently hear the same thing: 'That was the best time I ever had,' and it's always me saying it."

When AOL caught up with Amy about her entertaining prowess, she generously offered up her views on things like the sexiest food, making fake cakes, and why it's OK to check out the medicine cabinet when you go to someone's house for dinner. (C'mon, you know you do it.)

See photos, hear Amy's party talk: Phoning It In ... With Amy Sedaris
Read an excerpt: 'I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence'


Got any good party or dinner party stories -- you know, ones that include great embarrassment or monumental catastrophe? Let's hear 'em!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have any AMUSING party stories to share--sorry bout that BUT I looovvve
Amy. She is a CERTIFIABLE NUT CASE!!!!
christimade6@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Ummm....well....there was the time I was throwing a party in Athens with my best friend, Liz.  We were serving Campari and soda, but due to a slight miscalculation (neither one of us was ever particularly good with quantitative information) we ran out of soda.  Not sure what to do, we started mixing the Campari with ouzo.  The guests were having a FABULOUS time until I lost consciousness.  When I came to, it felt like the top of my head had been blown off and I looked around to see if anyone else had survived the plane crash.  All the guests work up the next morning feeling terrible and had no idea what had gone on in the latter part of the evening.  It would have been helpful to have had a clue, since everyone discovered either a belt or dental floss wrapped around their necks (?????).  It was then that I reformulated what it meant to have a good time at a party: it was one after which you wake up with lots of cuts and bruises on your knees and don't remember a thing!!!!  Liz and I threw many much talked about parties, and in a fashion similar to Amy Sedaris, we always remarked "that was the most fun that we will have ever had."

Anonymous said...

Grelef: If I may be so bold, please add my name to your next party invitation list.