Wednesday 6 September 2006

Alex MacLennan: Read Him and Meet Him


When a friend writes a book, you promote it on your blog. Hopefully, it's a good book.

Thankfully, but not surprisingly, my dear friend Alex MacLennan has written a novel upon which I'm only too happy to shine the spotlight. It's not a good book, it's great.

I'm not just saying that, just like I'm not just saying that Alex is one of Washington D.C.'s sweetest and sexiest men. It's all true.

I recently finished reading 'The Zookeeper,' Alex's debut novel. Below are links to a blurb about it and a couple of reviews you can check out where you can see that I'm not the only one who thinks it's worth your while to pick up and read.

In fact, 'The Zookeeper' has had an iron-fisted grip for weeks as the No. 1 book on the Buzzin' Dozen Bestsellers for Men list at Lambda Rising bookstore. It was just bumped to No. 2 by 'Grief', a book by Andrew Holleran (who happens to be one of Alex's mentors.)

Andrew Holleran's comment about 'The Zookeeper' perfectly captures the way I felt about the book as I read it: "Funny, heartfelt, and true to life. MacLennan's observations of daily life seem as natural as breathing."

If you happen to be in Miami Beach tomorrow evening, drop by Books and Books on Lincoln Road to listen to Alex read from his book. I'll be there and will be glad to introduce you to the author (he's very charming in person.)  He also has upcoming readings scheduled for Atlanta, Washington and New York.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. And I'm not just saying that.


Living a Writer's Life (Washington Blade)
Curled Up With a Good Book (Curled Up)
'The Zookeeper': Synopsis, Buy

Zoo Story, Author Interview (Metro Weekly)

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually read The Zookeeper when it first came out and have shared it with many of my friends as I felt like the characters were really well developed and some of the passages were so touching and true.  I am really glad you shined a light on a great novel!