Friday 8 September 2006

Flash Back Friday



In 1984, David Letterman hosted the incredibly talented and original filmmaker John Waters and his frequent star player, Divine.

It's fascinating to watch this clip in which Letterman is more than "a little flustered" as he navigates interviewing the king of trash cinema and a very large drag performer who never met a pound of pancake makeup she didn't like. When they first meet, Letterman asks her, "exactly what are you?"

One has to appreciate how new and different this interview was for its time. Although Water's earlier films like 'Pink Flamingos' were already more than 10 years old by 1984, putting these two guests on a national TV show was huge. Even though Letterman is obviously a little out of his element, he has some fun with the odorama card from 'Polyester' (though he refuses to scratch 'n sniff) and invites Divine to perform 'Born to Be Cheap.'

(Thanks to Pixel Pusher-Jeff for sending these gems.)

John Waters & Divine on Letterman (1984)



 

 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, the early 80's, when I was young and cute, I was lucky enough to actually meet Divine at San Diego nightclub.  He was there on a tour of appearances and by some stroke of luck I happened to go to that club on that night and because I knew the doormen I got in!  All these years later I can't remember the name of the club, it was on University Ave.  Meeting Divine wasn't really any more than a quick handshake and a hello but it was exciting for me.  I'd seem Pink Flamingos back in the 70's and was a big fan of John Waters and Divine.  I even named a band I was in Pink Flamingos.  

Robert

Anonymous said...

More power to you