Thursday 28 September 2006

'Project Runway' Judges' Score: 'F'

Spoilers ahead for the episode that premiered Sept. 27



Last night's 'Project Runway' was a lesson in contradiction. The judges, and Nina Garcia specifically, asked the contestants to design a dress that conveyed a strong point of view.

But when it came to the judges doing their jobs -- conveying a point of view and voting someone off -- the judges failed us. They shirked their duty to eliminate. Instead, they decided to send all four remaining contestants to Olympus Fashion Week.

WTF?

What gives with the 'Runway'judges constantly changing the rules this season? In the previous episode, they brought back two losers and added them into the competition that night. Not fair.

Now, they think they can avoid this week's elimination? Sorry, that just doesn't work for me.

I can only surmise that the judges were at a loss as to what to do when Uli surfaced as the clear winner of the challenge, making it impossible to boot her. Frontrunner Michael delivered his worst dress yet, but they couldn't get rid of him since he's destined to win. Laura's dress was predictable but solid, so they kept her. Jeffrey's dress looked like, well, see my little conversation below to see what I thought of his creation.

Does 'Runway' think rules don't matter? That's not how life works. Did the referees at the Super Bowl decide to add a fifth quarter to the game as the Seahawks lost miserably to the Steelers? No, they played by the rules.

Do we change the rules when we're electing the president of the United States? And would any of us stand for judges in the highest court of the land voting in favor of questionable election rule changes, simply because they didn't like the apparent loser of said election? Um ...

OK, maybe that last one is a bad example. But the point is, 'Project Runway' needs to quit jerking us around. We tune in to see high-stakes, gut-wrenching, throat-slitting drama, culminating in a brutal, "You're out."

Nina, I thought you had juevos.
Michael, I thought you had balls.
Heidi, wo sind Ihre Hoden?

Bollocks! I don't want nice. I don't want rules broken. 'Project Runway' is supposed to hurt. Now make it hurt.

THE CONTESTANTS:

This morning I had an IM exchange about 'Runway' and Jeffrey, among other things, with one ofmy favorite blogger pals, Blog-Boy Chris Mottram. Here's an example of why, according to Details magazine and me, straight guys are having such a hard time these days:


CMottram04:
  I know nothing about fashion, I just love the characters

CMottram04:
  To that end, I thought Jeffrey's was the best last night
GayestEditorEver:  WHAT!? You can't be serious
CMottram04:
  So I'm clearly stupid
GayestEditorEver:
  Clearly. It looked like Snow White-as-Whore
CMottram04:
  Exactly!
GayestEditorEverSo, yeah, figures you would like it.
CMottram04:
Yes!

******************************

Not a Loser, But Confuses Mustang Ranch With Disney World:

 

The Winner (sort of):

Not a Loser:

Not a Loser:



When no one loses, no one wins. 'Nuff said.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought for sure Jeffrey would be out of there with that dress he did...it was not his best work and I was just ready for him to go.  Michael has done a very impressive job and has deserved to be there, but last night Michael Kors said it best" he's a sportswear designer".  Now that it is coming to an ending, I am hoping Michael does win.

Anonymous said...

I was SO pissed that the judges did that!!  Lame!  Unless they did it because Michael was going to be booted, then I am supportive.  But I think they could have easily booted Jeffrey and no one would have complained.  He's a poseur.

Anonymous said...

From the Washington Post:
"The Bravo series "Project Runway" taped its finale Friday under the tents of Bryant Park ... Four designers presented collections. One of them served as a red herring, to keep the audience from knowing in advance which three designers had made the finals before the secret was revealed on television."

Nice for the fourth designer, but kind of a rip-off for the other three. And kind of bad planning -- it's not like the producers didn't know when Fashion Week was going to be, so they could've planned their taping accordingly. Maybe this had something to do with the timing of the birth of Heidi's baby...?

So does this mean two people will be eliminated next time, or will there still be some advantage to making it to the final three, instead of the final four?

Anonymous said...

    They've always had the final four designers show at Bryant Park - something they realized the first season when Austin showed at the last minute. They can't edit the last show fast enough before the bloggers get online with the Final Three, as I recall. Last season Andrae said he just wanted to make it to the final four "and then let God sort it out." Sure, it's great to be in the running for the grand prize and have your collection shown on TV, but I think for most of them the experience of showing at Fashion Week was the most important, so just getting to the Final Four was the goal for many.
    It was a tough call on the four designs this week, IMHO. So Uli did a short dress - it looked like the same thing to me that she's produced week after week. Although you gotta love her, the same could be said of Laura. I didn't mind Michael's dress so much, but what do I know. Jeffrey's was a stinker, but I thought he should have gone last week. (Kayne's cocktail dress was far sexier than the hooker get-up with the leggings Jeffrey threw together, and Kayne had more of the white fabric in his dress than Keith had on the dog collar and Keith wasn't "auf'd" in the dog challenge. But I digress.)
    At any rate, it did seem like a cop-out for the judges not to make a decision. Isn't that their function? But they've made strange choices all season, so it wasn't totally unexpected. Guess we'll just have to watch!

Anonymous said...

what absolute nonsense: "Does 'Runway' think rules don't matter? That's not how life works"

Actually..I thought life works exactly like that. In life, or any decent company, if you have four people with genuine talent (especially compared to the twaddle that has passed as talent in earlier years) you do everything you can to try to make all four shine. A good company/boss knows that the odds will always be stacked against complete success, so the best way to make yourself look good is to support talent. You NEVER throw it away. That's why life and sports have nothing in common. It's not a game. I thought the episode on Wednesday was remarkable. After a season rife with clear production manipulation, this last move was almost touching. Cheers to Heidi and Bravo for letting this happen. After all, unlike say 'Amazing Race', these four will now get to represent themselves at Fashion Week in NY. It really no longer matters who wins. It's now about talent and drive.

Anonymous said...

Come on folks...it's only TV and let's face it, judges for any contest are going to vote the way they think at that particular judging moment.

And regardless of what anyone says any rule can be either stretched, broken, adapted for special reasons or ignored all together. Some rules, often made by fools, should never be made.

Kudos to Project Runway for throwing a few surprises into the shows. Whether you like them or not it sure does get the fires burning in the hearts and minds of those who take these "entertainments" too seriously.  Always remember you can switch the channel or just shut the TV off.

Anonymous said...

I thought the twist was great.  The rules worked in the earlier challenges but
this makes for an interesting final runway show.

Anonymous said...

This season is more produced. I have seen the same thing happen with miami ink. Too I think the judges are a little nicer this year. I think they looked at themseves last year and said"MMMMMMMM.....I 'm a big snitster."  Also I hate lauras dresses. I am a 36d and her stuff would only skim the surface. I think geoffrey's dress was better in the pic you have it looked sloppy when it moved. Michaels dress looked like ghetto prom dress. And uli's looked the best because Nazere( the model that was michaels through every win) was wearing it. And that woman is absolutely smokin.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree about Jeffrey.  I loved this dress.  I thought it was spectacular and second only to the gorgeous plaid couture dress he did.  I loved his choice of fabric, color and detail along the bodice top.  I was disappointed that the judges and most of you came down so hard on him.  I am not a fan of his hardrock creations, but I loved this one.

Anonymous said...

I thought that Jeffrey should have won, I really loved that dress. And Uli should have been sent home. The dress design was unflattering and the pattern, WTF? Nora, she could have been sent home too, I mean, she does this same dress EVERYTIME! LOW NECKLINE! And I don't EVEN want to talk about how Michel KILLED his last chance to make a GREAT impression! But whatever, I'm not a judge.

Anonymous said...

ALL I KNOW IS I'M JUST ECSTATIC THAT MY BOY MICHAEL IS STILL WITH US!!! I WAS SO SCARED THAT IT WAS TIME FOR THE "PEACE OUT".  I BELEIVE THAT HIS DESIGN CHOICE TURNED OUT TO BE NOT A GOOD IDEA, ALTHOUGH I DO THINK THAT IT WAS WAY BETTER THAN JEFFREY'S CREATION.  I STOPPED TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE JUDGES ARE GOING TO DO AND WHY (ALLISON) SO I WAS AFRAID FOR MICHAEL.  IF HE CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURE OF CREATING A FULL SHOWING, THEN HE IS GOING TO BE THE LAST MAN STANDING.  GOOD LUCK MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I AGREE WITH THE PERSON WHO SAID THAT THE MODEL NAZRI KNOWS HOW TO SELL A DRESS.  SHE WORKED THE **** OUT OF ULI'S DRESS AND I THINK SHE WOULD HAVE DONE WONDERS FOR MICHAEL'S CREATION.  THAT GIRL IS AN AWESOME RUNWAY MODEL AND I'M PULLING FOR HER ALSO!