Thursday 7 September 2006

Parlez-Vous 'Project Runway'?


It's kind of hard to tell, but one of these is the winner, and one of them is the loser.


As if 'Project Runway' wasn't bitchy enough déjà, last night's episode raised the bar beaucoup notches with the presence of sa majestie de couture, Catherine Malandrino.

Malandrino is totally glam and super (pronounced soooo-pear) haute, in case you didn't know. She has dressed tous les stars, including Angelina, Demi and Beyonce. This is a femme internationale of grand importance who is very good at what she does.

One of her gifts magnifique is that she's tr
ès good at paying people backhanded compliments -- a talent that the French have perfected. J'aime ça!

I can make this observation because I lived en France. I know (and love) these people. I even had a boyfriend Francais (well, not a boyfriend so much as a trick who followed me back to the states and wouldn't leave my house for three months. But that's une autre story altogether.) So, trust me on this: Malandrino has a penchant for smiling at you while she slices you open with ribbon shears. French people call this "telling the truth."

Take a look at quotes Mme. Malandrino directed at each of the pauvre contestants, then you tell me: Are these compliments or haute smartassery?

On Jeffrey's Tattoo:


"What is this tattoo, because I've been trying to read it ... Ahhhhh. Because this is really forever."


On Jeffrey's Gown:


"It's quite interesting to dare with an evening gown with a cotton.I think it's very audacious."

[Editor: OK, who else thought Jeffrey's dress looked like a he tied together a couple of picnic blankets from a fashion forward fabrique de Provence kitchen store? He WON with that? Donnez-moi un break!]


On Laura's Gown:

 
"I feel it's quite interesting for an evening dress to cover the arm."

[Editor: How do you say "maid/whore Francaise on steroids"?]


On Uli's Gown:

 
"So easy, so light, so effortless."

[Editor: This was the one thing she said that seemed to be sincerely nice ... Or was it?]


On Kayne's Gown:

 
"You know, you have been very brave to lace up in the back."


On Michael's Gown:

 
"And of course a couture gown is all about the detail, to come close and to appreciate the detail."

[Editor: Ne pensez pas that she couldn't tell that the detail was total merde as she was saying that.]


And now for the pièce de résistance. Vincent was off the bout profund (<<< French for f*'n DEEP END) with Madame Malandrino. Mon dieu, Vincent, vous  êtes desperate! Get a load of this:

On Vincent's Gown:

 
"There's something about the 80s for this dress, coming from the shoulder. It's a long time I haven't seen an evening dress with shoulder pads."

When Catherine asked him for more information about his dress, he panicked and slipped into his best "swave and de-boner":


"I like you very much. Very very much. You are one of the most sensational women I have ever laid my eyes on. I mean that. Everything about you, your hair, I watch, I look, your persona, you are impeccable. These your shoes? Let me ask you a question. This dress, do you think it's too much throw back, or do you think it's modern? Be honest."

Her:
Uhhh.  Uhhhh. [To model:] Can you turn?  [To Vincent:] It's an interesting dress. 

Him: OK

Judges:
Au revoir Vincent!


Finally, I have been simplement dying to find an excuse to share some video of French mega-goddess Dalida (love her) and now I have one: I give you homage to the 80's, with Dalida wearing something Vincent could definitivement have designed himself, shoulder pads, headband and all.

Dalida Sings 'Quand Je N'Aime Plus, Je M'En Vais'
(Meaning: When I Stop Loving, I'm So Outa Here)

 


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved when she told Kayne he looked rediculous in his jetsetter outfit. He did. Oh and Vincent ... asking her about his "work of art" like that? How obnoxious. I agree, this is a very French, very English (I know cuz I am one), very Euro way of speaking. I disagree with you on Jeffrey's gown though -- I loved it. Very him, very Westwood, and I think the cotton remark was honest not backhanded.

Anonymous said...

Well done as always, my friend. How creepy is it when Vincent says things like, "Couture turns me on" or "Being on the show really got me off?"

Anonymous said...

Personally I thought Malandrino was pretty much the way I imagine the French.  Aloof and rude.  It was funny though that every one of her comments was an insult yet, since they designers were so awed, or jetlagged, they all thought she was complimenting them or giving them advice.

I was so glad that Michael managed to stay.  His gown was a catastrophe.  If Vincent had just taken those damn shoulder pads out and ditched the poofy thing in the back he may have survived.  For some reason I was pulling for Vincent, he was looking for something in himself and I hope he finds it.

Jeffrey?  He's a skanky, selfish creep in my book.  I can't stand to look at him!  He seems to be antagonizing the other designers, one by one for advantage like Santino did but without any kind of humor or personality.  That thing he made was like a bad version of Carol Burnett's "Gone With The Window" drapery dress.  Ugly.  Yes it looked like a picnic blanket crazy quilt dipped in urine and grey poupon.  His "Rockstar" outfit was cheezy too.

Laura, poor thing, is turning out to be a one trick pony I think.  Enough of the Morticia Adams meets Hepburn thing already.

Kayne?  What can you say?  Kayne designs for Pageants and maybe Drag Queens.  All of his stuff is a step down from Austin Scarlett.  But the Elvis get up was fun!  Elvis is forever after all.

And Uli?  Snnnzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Robert

Anonymous said...

GO MICHAEL !!!  I THINK THAT HE IS  DOING GREAT. HE HAS BEEN IN THE TOP THREE FROM JUMP. KEEP IT UP. AND KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE.GOD BLESS!!JEFFREY,  YOU NEED PEOPLE SKILLS!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love Michael and was really worried that he might go.  When he got back to NY and they fixed it on the runway it really looked much better.  As for Jeffery I like him.  You just have to know how to deal with  him. Poor Laura, that outfit did look like something from the 40's but in fashion doesn't the old become new again? Best wishes to them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My 4 and six year old girls watch the show reguarly with me. We have been dying for vincent to leave. When my six year old saw the yellow dress she said "What did he have to make a dress using tablecloths?" Since school has started they have had to catch the reruns. They like Uli best. Call me tacky but I love Kain and I liked his to the side corsetted bodice. Love this little blog by the way.
Marjorie in Virginia

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for this day, literally, all season.  VINCENT, YOU ARE OUT!!!  Ironically, this week wasn't even his worst creation but enough is enough already.  I am a true blue Michael Knight fan, but I have to admit I was petrified when I saw his dress.  You never know what these judges (producers) will do from one week to the next especially after they gave Allison the ax the one and only time she did something less than perfect.

Maybe I'm just not fashion-forward, but Jeffrey's dress was HORRIBLE!!!  It made me want to pack a picnic lunch and go to the local park for a quick bite.  I truly couldn't believe the judges' response.  If that's what couture is, then I've been wrong for years.

MICHAEL KNIGHT IS #1! (couture catastrophe notwithstanding)

Anonymous said...

A quote from Dr. Stefan Buczacki's book The Essential Gardener: "No matter what the continentals may say, the French bean is a second-class vegetable, serving usefully to tempt our palates until the runner bean crop is ready."  The runner bean crop is described as the "archetypal English summer vegetable."

What does this have to do with Project Runway?  Nothing, really, but it's another chance to slam the French.  It's the least that's deserved for egging Michael's dress, which needed all the help it could get.

Jeffrey's dress was an abomination, regardless of how avant garde the judges thought it.  C'mon Heidi and Nina, I dare you to wear it to your next soiree.  Of course, there's no underestimating the power of bad taste since the current auction price of his dress is $900.

My heart is with Michael and has been since the first time I saw him, this challenge notwithstanding.  I love Kayne, but someone needs drag him out of the Sequin City mindset if he's going to make the big time.

Off to use TRESemme' hairspray,
Ooh La La Alana

Anonymous said...

If you look very closely at Jeffrey's tattoo it says in very small letters - "CUT HERE!"

Personally, I'm underwhelmed by the lot of them. Kayne's look is "Drag Queen Drama." Uli can't seem to find a second or third gear. Laura seems to channel Yves St. Laurent's past collections. Michael's at least making an effort to design something that's his own. He just needs training in patternmaking. Jeffrey's a one trick pony and his bravado masks a fragile ego. He'll end up second and scream that everyone's against him!

Vicious Vivian
Queen of Gay Nescafe Society

Anonymous said...

I was away so just caught up on tape (and so couldn't read you til now).  

LOVE the record of Malandrino's comments, Gayesteditorever!  

And your french is merveilleusement méchant!

Celebrate--Vincent is gone!

I hate Jeffrey, but, especially given how his model worked it, I did like what he made. Sorry.  Remember that this is couture--sometimes like artwork, often outrageous, and mostly the stuff that almost no one actually WEARS forgodsake.  And, besides, aside from Uli--or Kayne's wonderfully trashy thing--who else to win?  They were all hideous! (I was rooting for Uli.)

As to that video:  Did you mean to say that you impersonated Dalida in the 80's? Because I can definitely see the resemblance. (But I bet you've never been caught in such loose toreadors as shown in that vidéo fabuleux.)

Anonymous said...

VincentSpentSoMuchTimeAdmiringHisPatternThatHeHadNoTimeToDoTHeDress
AndEndedUpGluingIt.HeWasSoObnoxiousAndInLoveWIthHimselfThatItWasDisgusting
ToWatch.IHatedEverythingHeDid.AsForKayne,IWouldHaveWOrnHIsDressOVerAllTheOthers.
THeSlantedLaceinTheBackandCorsetWasSoFIgureFlatteringThatToMeItWasntTackyAtAll.AlsoLauras
CollarLookedReallyGoodOnTHeFrenchModel.HerColoringAndWhiteSkinComplimentedItWell.IOnlyLiked
ItOnTheFrenchModel.JeffereyAddsFlavourToTheShow.IThinkHeIsReallyTalentedBut
WatchOutIfHeDoesntLikeYou.HisFauxBeltedDressWasGorgeousAndIKnowHeHasBeen
ThroughBadExperiencesButDoesntHeRealizeHeIsOnTV.DoesHeReallyWantToBeHatedBy
TheWOrld.TimeForSOmeHumblePie.ShareAPieceWithSantino.SorryForTHeNoSPaces.ImHaving
ACorruptedFontProblem.