Wednesday 20 September 2006

James McGreevy McCreepy's Me Out



I don't even know what to say after having watched the coming out party Oprah hosted for James McGreevey and his book, 'The Confession,' yesterday.

Do I have any sympathy for this guy? To the extent that I can blame organized religion, the Catholic church and homophobia in general for screwing him up but good when he was a kid, yes. There's no question that the closet makes people crazy and they do weird things. To a certain point, I get it.

And yet, do I cringe as James McGreevey represents for my people in his media blitz to confess his big, fat gay sins and misdemeanors to all of America? You betcha.

I guess I could enumerate the ways in which he gives me the heebie-jeebies, but why bother when so many others have said such delicious and intestine-ripping things already?

I troll the Internet, so you don't have to. Behold the blogger bitch fest, my round-up of blog posts across the Web that tickled me, made me think, made me go, "Right on, sister!"

[Note to HRC: Please, PLEASE, PLEASE: Don't honor this guy.]

"I must ask: Is this good for the gays? I suppose time will tell. Our enemies will see promiscuity, incompetence, corruption, adultery, dishonesty, arrogance, and exploitation. Our friends will see the pain and suffering of the closet and the courage to come to terms with one's sins and misdeeds. Oprah will enjoy a huge bump in ratings. McGreevey's publisher will enjoy a huge Oprah-driven spike in book sales. And the gay community will be dragged through another episode of seedy, sleazy, shady dirt."
More at Is James McGreevey's The Confession Good For The Gays? -- Richard Rothstein at Blog Critics


"It's a sad state of affairs when you hype your memoir on Oprah and still can't get past 57 on Amazon's list seller list. Even the ultra-preppy, and surprisingly unlikable James Frey managed to convince the Oprah-ites that he was a washed out crack head."
More at Jim McGreevey's Gay New Book Sucks -- Metadish


"A good interviewer would have asked,'So what you're sayingis thatyou had the best sex of your life by committing adultery on your conjugal bed while your wife had just given birth prematurely to your daughter?' Rather than call him on his immorality, Oprah, moved by the honesty of it all, listened with tears in her eyes. You could almost hear Tchaikovsky's Theme from Romeo and Juliet in the background."
More at What Oprah didn't ask McGreevey -- Fausta's blog


"The absurdity is the fame, fortune and acceptance he's getting for his despicable, craven, cowardly and profoundly immoral behavior."
More at The Best Argument for Outing -- A Typical Joe


"Why must 'gay sex' be prefaced with the word 'shocking'? I don't get that, either. Now, I'm not gay. But I have love for all my gay brothers and sisters. So I'm gonna fight CNN on this one. After all, CNN wouldn't refer to heterosexual sex in that way, would it?"
More at CNN: America's Most Trusted Name in Gay Sex --  Shy Guy in NYC


"How To Make A Gay Role Model:
Step One: Find a gay man whose name has been in the news.
Step Two: Completely ignore the reasons why his name was in the news."
More at How To Make A Gay Role Model -- Postmodern Barney


"...this whole episode with Jim McGreevey just makes me sad. And as a 'gay American' I am sympathetic with those who are criticizing the Governor this week for using the gay issue. For [a] guy I thought was really concerned about poverty and education, the way he is selling his memoir just makes me want to take a shower."
More at Governor Jim McGreevey's Struggle with A Convenient Truth -- Hilary Rosen on Huffington Post


"The utter lack of emotion as he reads of 'a boastful, passionate, whispering, masculine kind of love' is the kind of audio you want to listen to alone, in a darkened room, with nothing but tissue and lotion. It's is followed by a sheepish eye roll, which is almost as priceless as the seven secondpause he takes before telling Oprah that making love to his wife 'was special.' Good to choose those banal words carefully, though we'd guess his wife would disagree.
More (plus video) at It's Like He's Reading It for the First Time -- Gawker


This one, by ex-trucker Squawkbox Noise, wins top honors for his brilliantly doctored illustrations, a couple of which are posted below.
"I have one rule in my life that I observe 'religiously'……I could care less what someone’s sexual preferences are or their 'conquests'. It just ain’t none of my business. However Ex-governor James McGreevey has opened himself up for scrutiny with the release of his new book and I am more than will to oblige."
More at James McGreevey Coming Out a Bit Too Much -- Squawkbox Noise

 

  Comments | Worth Repeating: Home | Gay Galleries, Video, Pen Pals, More



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

suck up something other than what ever sex organ that you prefer. conduct yourselves like us heteros do, which is to say: be good to each other for no other reason than it is how this country operates: homo, hetero or otherwise. Nobody gives a fuck otherwise, and if you think I'm wrong, so-be-it. But I will tell you that despite what you may think, it is misinformed assholes like me that support your right to do this.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone else scrunch their brow and cock their head in confusion after reading that last comment...?

Anonymous said...

I'm straight but I think we should get things straight. I've heard some harsh things on the topic of gay marriage and gay sex but James McGreevey crosses the line with his whole confession. I have nothing against gays, in fact I really wish that they could get married. Not just for the sake of ending the whole dispute and moving on, like my mother in law, but for the reasons which are so apparent. I mean...knock knock, hello? Isn't this America? Don't we all have equal rights? I feel like gays have been slapped in the face. It's as if the government said ' Fuck equall rights and nondiscrimination against people because of race, religion, and sexual preference. We can't allow gays to marry because then we're all going to hell.' And what is this shit about religion and God not condoning gay marriage or hell, gays period? Last I checked God loved EVERYBODY. Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Gay, Straight, Man, and Woman. Fucking Everybody, and NOW they wanna say well, you're going to hell because God can't love a gay man/woman. Fuck the government. Fuck Bush. If you wanna be gay be gay. All the more power to you.

Anonymous said...

I find this whole story quite sad.  Destroyed lives and hurt abound, and it's not just being in the "closet" that caused that.  
I have had gay and lesbian friends, and I can honestly say, I've never known one to be at peace or have joy, whether in or out of the closet.    Lest someone should comment with a nasty comment... notice I said I've never known one of my friends.... not all.... so I am not generalizing... I just haven't met anyone.  
If I ever do, I'll let you know.  
And as far as the gay marriage issue from the poster below... gay marriage has nothing to do with equal rights.  Every American over the age of eighteen has the "right " to marry.  It's the definition of what constitutes a marriage that gay activists want to redefine.  Every gay has the right to marry, someone of the opposite gender.  The definition of marriage is at the crux of the debate, and whether a sexual preference constitutes being a "minority" group.  If sexual preference does constitute being a minority group, then so does a number of other "special" preference groups.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely sickning to say the least!!  Whoever says any of this is good/ o.k., is demon possessed and needs deliverance!

Anonymous said...

What a Fool, He had the world in his hand, a beautiful wife, a family, a fine Job, and Governor Yet ! What a Mushmak this guy is ! Oi ! he is such idiot, to give it all up for a MAN ! They need to lock this Cat away somewhere. Because he is making a mockery of the sanctuary of marriage, and himself.

Why do we always have to hear about Gay's aren't their anything else to hear, All you hear on the TV is Bush Bashing, Murders, Iraq, Stories  about who is sleeping with who!. What happened to Family TV, and the great shows from Broadway, and the Singers we once had, and all the  Good Stuff. Why do we have to hear about Gay's . Especialy McGreevy the former Governor of New Jersey.  I am a New Jersey resident, and when I heard this guy on National TV telling the world he couldn't go on as Governor because he was a Gay Man. I thought this guy is Crazy! He implicated a young man from Israel who wanted nothing to do with him, and forced him into  a Sexual Act so the guy said in the News. Isn't That Rape !
What kind of person does this stuff. That makes me sick, Its bad enough we have monster Raping our Children like the Catholic Priests, and the other Pedifiles, but
now we have a former Governor bragging on National TV about his Sexual Life, and Fantesy's. "God Help America  if this is what we are coming to"  Grow up McGreevy you are almost 50 years old , who the Hell would want to sleep with a Scrawney Ugley Duckling like you. God Help You Man , you realy need some serious Psychatric Treatment.

Anonymous said...

I guess any hole will do. Whyis this acceptable???