Friday 4 August 2006

'Stars Are Blind,' & Straight Dudes Are Deaf



Let me start off by saying I've never been a huge Paris Hilton fan. What I really mean is, I've hated her along with everyone else because, well, she never really gave me a good reason to feel otherwise. Until now.

Paris has kind of become my new best friend with the release of her single,  'Stars Are Blind.' Every morning, I put the top down on my car, start up Paris on my iPod (she's set to "Repeat"), and as I drive into work with the wind gently tousling my graying hair I think about who I will fool into falling in love with Paris Hilton today.

I LOVE this bubble-gummy, please-do-me-right-here-on-the-beach summer song. And if I love it, I want everyone I know to love it, too. What can I say, I'm a giver.

This is actually my favorite summer sport: I play the song for people without telling them who it is. Nine out of 10 people get into it -- until they find out it's Paris Hilton, and then they start backpedaling.

The other day, I did this to straight-boyfriend-Jeff, whose taste in music is something akin to listening to five radios at once with a hi-speed blender on in the background. I have never been able to make out the words to even one song he has played for me. The same cannot be said about the music I play for him because, let's face it, Barbra Streisand has perfect diction.

So get this: He loved 'Stars Are Blind.' He thought it was Gwen Stefani.

Now, straight-dude Jeff (I can't believe hanging out with him has turned me into someone who says "dude") has made a FEEBLE attempt to discredit my girl Paris. In his Pixel Pusher blog yesterday, he claims to have evidence that her song is a rip-off of UB40's 'Kingston Town.' He has "music video proof."

You have to read his post and listen for yourself, but let me just say that Jeff is full of crap. Paris' song is not a rip-off. The UB40 song has the same rhythm and beat, yes. It's called reggae? They all sound like that. It's an island thing and, when used strategically, that reggae sound improves your odds of getting someone to have sex with you on the beach by a factor of 10. Idiot!



 



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, i'll have to check it out.

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my journal bud....You got a great blog goin here yaself!! hehe!

I'll add you to my alerts!

Cheers,

Lv Ste
xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/stevietwain/ThelifeofSte/

Anonymous said...

Hi ! I listened to her new song and I can't say that I am a fan of her music. I am not a real big fan of her songs. I did like her show "The Simple Life" with Nicole Ritchie but her music not so much. I don't prefer her music its just not my taste I'm sad to say. Maybe I will like her next song who knows.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm sure other people like her music but I am not one of them. Anyway.....I do like your journal its quite good. Your journal is on my journal page "Dear Diary" so I'll be back to check out what else you will share with us next. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I work at a local AMC movie theatre, and right now this song is one of (only about 20) songs that are played on the work radio.
I hear it practically everyday.

I admit that I do like the song.

And when I first heard it, I too thought it was Gwen Stefani.  Until I heard the AMC "moviewatchers network" guy say "That was Paris Hilton with the song, 'Stars are Blind' on her new album, 'Paris'"
And I dropped the porter I was using to clean up a popcorn spill in shock.

It's a good song.  It's one of the few that I don't mind hearing every single hour every day I work there.
As far as her being talanted.....somehow, I doubt she can actually sing.  She's got a lot of back up voices in that thing, and a studio can make people sound like they can sing.  Take Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson for example.

Anonymous said...

paris is nothing but a no talent whore ...thats why she is "famous"  because of her dad and her sex escapades

Anonymous said...

I COMMEND PARIS FOR BEING WHO SHE IS LOVING AND LIVING THE LIFE GOD HAS GIVEN HER TO TOP IT OFF I LOVE HER MUSIC HER DAINTY LADY LIKE MANNER AND HER AND NICOLE RICHE SIMPLE LIFE THAT SHOW IS AWESOME PARIS FROM NIQUA TO YOU LOVE BOTH OF YOU AND I'M NOT GAY

Anonymous said...

I think she's beautiful, rich, young, lucky to be who & where she is & so is Nicole. If I were lucky enough to the man of their dreams I'd do everything in my power to make all their wishes come true & feel grateful to do it. They're Doll's!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think I accidentally ripped off a version of your headline in my <a href="http://www.malcontent.biz/blog/?p=1831">last podcast</a>!

http://www.malcontent.biz/blog/?p=1831

Anonymous said...

Malcontent: That was an awfully tricky method for getting me to listen to your podcast. Haaa.  Fortunately, it was already on my iPod. Great job, men.

Even you and Robbie had to admit you love the song? Case closed. :-)

Kenneth

Anonymous said...

Funny you mention that your straight boy-friend thought it was Gwen Steffani. That's who my wife thought it sounds like as well. But it appears that there is a plot against Miss Hilton on the DC airwaves because the song is getting very little rotation. Wonder why? Could it be they are clearing it out for the impending Brooke Hogan single coming out soon?