Friday 11 August 2006

Gay Movie Fantasies Meet 'Project Runway'



My mind drifted a little during Project Runway this week. In fact, I fell asleep watching it Wednesday night -- and I never fall asleep watching TV. Thank the goddesses for TiVo.

Having now seen it, I know why I fell asleep: It was a little boring. It just seemed kind of cotton-jersey to me and darn it, I want taffeta. It was weird, too, because I
thought that the design-for-an-icon set-up was interesting. Unfortunately, it fell rather flat.

So I'm watching, and I think to myself: This episode could really benefit from some drama -- and by drama I don't mean Jeff going "quack, quack, quack, quack." Would someone please slap him?

That's when Norma Desmond came to mind. For you neophytes, Norma Desmond is a character brilliantly played by Gloria Swanson in 'Sunset Boulevard,' only one of the greatest movies of all time. It's ripe with black comedy and high drama. There are even elements of crime and horror in it. In other words, it's a lot like 'Project Runway.'

 In my gay fantasy mind, I saw judge Michael Kors channelling Norma Desmond. Michael, whose recent whereabouts have been a big mystery and of concern to viewers, turns to the camera, tilts his head back and says, "It's a return, a return to the millions of people who have never forgiven me for deserting the screen." <fade lights>

Michael, we forgive you, but where in the hell have you been? You think you can just waltz back in, no explanation, no nothing?

From there, in my gay fantasy mind, I pictured each contestant having to turn to and face their respective icons -- while spurting out lines from famous movies. Yes, I am easily distracted.

Laura to Katharine Hepburn:

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." The Silence of the Lambs


Bradley to Cher:

"You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." On the Waterfront


Allison to Farrah Fawcett:

"Why don't you come up sometime and see me?" She Done Him Wrong


Jeff to Madonna:

"You talkin' to me?" Taxi Driver


Vincent to Twiggy:

"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Network...
Followed by: "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!" Midnight Cowboy


Angela to Audrey Hepburn:

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocalypse Now


Robert to Jackie Onassis:

"Don't ask because I'll be forced to bore you to death with the details of my tortured existence." Love and Other Catastrophes


Uli to Diana Ross:
"
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again." Gone with the Wind


Michael to Pam Grier, in reference to Angela:

"I'm not trying to play Captain Save-a-Ho, as we say in the hood." Project Runway, 2006

Comments | Worth Repeating: Home | Gay Galleries, Video, Pen Pals, More


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Project Runway and have been from day one.  Having had to pitch in on some costume and wardrobe duty for friends that assured me I didn't need to know how to thread a needle to help I know how hard it is to put together gowns and such.  I really enjoy watching the designers go from nothing to something either hideous or fabulous in a day or two.

This season seems to lack a spark though that season ! had with Jay Carrol, Austin Scarlett and that horrible woman with the glasses....Wendy Pepper thats her name.  Season 2 had such a good hook with making us all, I think, tune in just to see, his name escapes me now, that nasty looking big bird of a guy get booted for yet another creation that looked like it was made in a pitch dark room by spider monkeys on their 12th double double mocha grande.  But this season is more toned down.  I think Laura is fabulous style-wise and I have a feeling Vincent is going to be a real surprise as the show goes on but JEFF?  All I can think when he's on the screen is "I hope thats a henna neck tatoo because it is ugly and, well its just ugly.  Why?

Actually one of the main factors of the show for me is Tim Gunn.  I just get a kick out of him.  I also think that Michael is going to the final 3 for sure.  As for your Michael Kors ne Nora Desmond I agree.  I'd love to see him as Norma via Carol Burnett "Hello...Who are you?"  I like Nina too because she's got just the right amount of bitchiness mixed with appreciation when she sees good work.

Aufwiedersein
Robert

Anonymous said...

MICHAEL KNIGHT IS THE KING!!!!  It's about time his skills got noticed!  I have been checking him out since Day 1 and nothing on the runway was as innovative as Michael's coffee filter dress on the first episode, especially the boring blue cotton dress that was made with bedding.  Bedding?  Cotton bedding?  Since when is that innovative?  That's as close to clothing material as you can get, yet that's what won the challenge.  Things that make you go, "Hmmm".

Hang in there, Michael!  I'm with you all the way, baby!